A collection of milestones and events from UGA Extension's history.
1919: Coastal Plain Experiment Station opens in Tifton
The Georgia Land Owner's Association, a coastal plain organization led by Captain H.H. Tift and William Stillwell, successfully lobbies the state legislature to create an agricultural experiment station in the state's coastal plain region.
1924: First Georgia 4-H camp opens in Athens
Camp Wilkins, Georgia’s first 4-H camp, opens in Athens on the site of what is now the Driftmier Engineering Building on the University of Georgia campus.
1938: Soil testing begins at the Georgia Experiment Station
Dr. L.C. Olson begins soil testing at the Georgia Experiment Station in Griffin, Ga.
1942: Georgia Experiment Station releases ‘Empire’ cotton
Researchers from the Georgia Experiment Station in Griffin, Ga., release the ‘Empire’ cotton variety.
1943: 4-H begins using Camp Wahsega
Georgia 4-H holds events at Camp Wahsega in Dahlonega, Ga., for the first time.
1947: 4-H Center on Tybee Island opens
Now known as Burton 4-H Center on Tybee Island, the camp is used for local and state camps, conferences and rallies.
1950: College Experiment Station officially recognized
The College Experiment Station is officially recognized in Athens, Ga., although experiments on crops and livestock had been conducted for decades at research farms on and near the University of Georgia campus.
1955: Rock Eagle 4-H Center opens
Rock Eagle 4-H Center opens in Eatonton, Ga.