A collection of milestones and events from UGA Extension's history.
1904: First corn club is established
George Claud (G.C.) Adams, Newton County Superintendent of Schools, organizes the first corn club for boys.
1904: Negro youth clubs are established
P. D. Johnson, an African American teacher in Newton County, started a program similar to Adams' with a corn patch project for African American sons and fathers who wanted to learn modern corn production practices.
1907: Carroll County receives Georgia's first agent
Seaman A. Knapp, director of Cooperative Demonstration Work in Washington, D.C., hires Samuel M. Cown to be a county agent in Carroll County. Cown was the second county agent hired in the U.S.
1909: First youth agents are hired
Seaman A. Knapp, director of Cooperative Demonstration Work in Washington, D.C., employs the first state and local agents to promote boys' agricultural demonstration work in Georgia.
1910: Extension leadership is formed
Georgia hires its first Extension Director, J. Phil Campbell, who serves until 1933.
1913: First woman is hired by national Extension
Mary E. Creswell becomes the first woman employed by the Federal Extension Office in Washington, D.C.