A collection of milestones and events from UGA Extension's history.
1908: "College on Wheels" first takes research to farmers
The “College on Wheels” begins as an educational train traveling across the state with cars for livestock and the exhibition of modern farm machinery and farming practices.
1910: Extension leadership is formed
Georgia hires its first Extension Director, J. Phil Campbell, who serves until 1933.
1910: "College on Wheels" receives state support
Because of the success of the “College on Wheels” train, Extension begins receiving $10,000 in state appropriations to disseminate agricultural information to Georgia farmers.
1911: Second “College on Wheels” continues success
The second educational train travels through Georgia, making 154 stops and reaching an estimated 350,000 farmers.
1914: Smith-Lever Act creates Cooperative Extension Service
The Cooperate Extension Service is officially established and nationally funded with the passing of the Smith-Lever Act.
1964: Cooperative Extension becomes integrated
The Civil Rights Act promotes racial integration of separate Extension programs.
1978: Extension hosts first annual Sunbelt Expo
The Cooperative Extension Service starts the Sunbelt Agricultural Exposition in Moultrie, Ga.
1990: School of Home Economics is renamed
The University of Georgia's School of Home Economics becomes the College of Family and Consumer Sciences (FACS).
1991: College of Agriculture is renamed
The University of Georgia's College of Agriculture becomes the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (CAES).
2003: Extension reduces to four districts
In order to streamline administration, UGA Extension reduced from five districts to four: Northeast, Northwest, Southeast and Southwest.
2007: First woman becomes head of UGA Extension
Beverly Sparks becomes the first woman to head UGA Extension as the Associate Dean.
2010: UGA Extension faces budget constraints
4-H faces is threatened to be eliminated from the UGA budget and the county tier model is developed.
2014: Extension celebrates 100 years of service
Although there were agents and clubs in place more than 100 years ago, Extension was officially recognized in 1914 with the Smith-Lever Act, the federal law that established and funded the state-by-state system.