0A43 Timelines


A collection of milestones and events from UGA Extension's history.


  • 1904: First corn club is established
    George Claud (G.C.) Adams, Newton County Superintendent of Schools, organizes the first corn club for boys.

  • 1904: Negro youth clubs are established
    P. D. Johnson, an African American teacher in Newton County, started a program similar to Adams' with a corn patch project for African American sons and fathers who wanted to learn modern corn production practices.

  • 1906: Youth programs expand to include girls' clubs and state contests
    Girls’ garden, tomato and canning clubs begin in Hancock County; the first statewide corn and cotton growing contests are held.

  • 1907: Carroll County receives Georgia's first agent
    Seaman A. Knapp, director of Cooperative Demonstration Work in Washington, D.C., hires Samuel M. Cown to be a county agent in Carroll County. Cown was the second county agent hired in the U.S.

  • 1908: "College on Wheels" first takes research to farmers
    The “College on Wheels” begins as an educational train traveling across the state with cars for livestock and the exhibition of modern farm machinery and farming practices.


  • 1910: "College on Wheels" receives state support
    Because of the success of the “College on Wheels” train, Extension begins receiving $10,000 in state appropriations to disseminate agricultural information to Georgia farmers.

  • 1911: Second “College on Wheels” continues success
    The second educational train travels through Georgia, making 154 stops and reaching an estimated 350,000 farmers.

  • 1915: The boll weevil appears in Georgia
    Yield losses associated with the boll weevil reduced cotton acreage from a historical high of 5.2 million acres in 1914 down to 2.6 million acres in 1923.

  • 1919: Coastal Plain Experiment Station opens in Tifton
    The Georgia Land Owner's Association, a coastal plain organization led by Captain H.H. Tift and William Stillwell, successfully lobbies the state legislature to create an agricultural experiment station in the state's coastal plain region.





  • 1969: Rural Development Center opens in Tifton


  • 1978: Extension hosts first annual Sunbelt Expo
    The Cooperative Extension Service starts the Sunbelt Agricultural Exposition in Moultrie, Ga.


  • 1987: Extension launches the boll weevil eradication program


  • 1991: College of Agriculture is renamed
    The University of Georgia's College of Agriculture becomes the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (CAES).