6000 Timelines

Timelines

A collection of milestones and events from UGA Extension's history.

1900s

  • 1904: First corn club is established
    George Claud (G.C.) Adams, Newton County Superintendent of Schools, organizes the first corn club for boys.

  • 1904: Negro youth clubs are established
    P. D. Johnson, an African American teacher in Newton County, started a program similar to Adams' with a corn patch project for African American sons and fathers who wanted to learn modern corn production practices.

  • 1906: Youth programs expand to include girls' clubs and state contests
    Girls’ garden, tomato and canning clubs begin in Hancock County; the first statewide corn and cotton growing contests are held.

  • 1909: First youth agents are hired
    Seaman A. Knapp, director of Cooperative Demonstration Work in Washington, D.C., employs the first state and local agents to promote boys' agricultural demonstration work in Georgia.

1920s

  • 1920: 4-H clubs grow to 27,000 members in Georgia

  • 1924: 4-H Club name and clover emblem are officially adopted
    The official 4-H emblem is a four-leaf clover with an "H" in each leaf and the stem turned to the right.

  • 1924: First Georgia 4-H camp opens in Athens
    Camp Wilkins, Georgia’s first 4-H camp, opens in Athens on the site of what is now the Driftmier Engineering Building on the University of Georgia campus.

  • 1927: 4-H pledge and motto are adopted
    State 4-H leaders adopt the national 4-H pledge and motto at the first National 4-H Camp held in Washington, D.C.

1930s

  • 1933: First Georgia 4-H Club Council meeting is held
    The first State 4-H Club Council meeting is held in Milledgeville.

1940s

1950s

1970s

1980s

2000s

  • 2004: Camp Fortson becomes a Georgia 4-H Center

2010s

0