A collection of milestones and events from UGA Extension's history.


  • 1904: First corn club is established
    George Claud (G.C.) Adams, Newton County Superintendent of Schools, organizes the first corn club for boys.

  • 1904: Negro youth clubs are established
    P. D. Johnson, an African American teacher in Newton County, started a program similar to Adams' with a corn patch project for African American sons and fathers who wanted to learn modern corn production practices.

  • 1906: Youth programs expand to include girls' clubs and state contests
    Girls’ garden, tomato and canning clubs begin in Hancock County; the first statewide corn and cotton growing contests are held.

  • 1907: Carroll County receives Georgia's first agent
    Seaman A. Knapp, director of Cooperative Demonstration Work in Washington, D.C., hires Samuel M. Cown to be a county agent in Carroll County. Cown was the second county agent hired in the U.S.

  • 1908: "College on Wheels" first takes research to farmers
    The “College on Wheels” begins as an educational train traveling across the state with cars for livestock and the exhibition of modern farm machinery and farming practices.

  • 1909: First youth agents are hired
    Seaman A. Knapp, director of Cooperative Demonstration Work in Washington, D.C., employs the first state and local agents to promote boys' agricultural demonstration work in Georgia.


  • 1910: Extension leadership is formed
    Georgia hires its first Extension Director, J. Phil Campbell, who serves until 1933.

  • 1910: "College on Wheels" receives state support
    Because of the success of the “College on Wheels” train, Extension begins receiving $10,000 in state appropriations to disseminate agricultural information to Georgia farmers.

  • 1911: Second “College on Wheels” continues success
    The second educational train travels through Georgia, making 154 stops and reaching an estimated 350,000 farmers.

  • 1913: First woman is hired by national Extension
    Mary E. Creswell becomes the first woman employed by the Federal Extension Office in Washington, D.C.

  • 1914: Smith-Lever Act creates Cooperative Extension Service
    The Cooperate Extension Service is officially established and nationally funded with the passing of the Smith-Lever Act.

  • 1915: The boll weevil appears in Georgia
    Yield losses associated with the boll weevil reduced cotton acreage from a historical high of 5.2 million acres in 1914 down to 2.6 million acres in 1923.

  • 1919: Coastal Plain Experiment Station opens in Tifton
    The Georgia Land Owner's Association, a coastal plain organization led by Captain H.H. Tift and William Stillwell, successfully lobbies the state legislature to create an agricultural experiment station in the state's coastal plain region.


  • 1920: 4-H clubs grow to 27,000 members in Georgia

  • 1924: 4-H Club name and clover emblem are officially adopted
    The official 4-H emblem is a four-leaf clover with an "H" in each leaf and the stem turned to the right.

  • 1924: First Georgia 4-H camp opens in Athens
    Camp Wilkins, Georgia’s first 4-H camp, opens in Athens on the site of what is now the Driftmier Engineering Building on the University of Georgia campus.

  • 1927: 4-H pledge and motto are adopted
    State 4-H leaders adopt the national 4-H pledge and motto at the first National 4-H Camp held in Washington, D.C.






  • 1978: Extension hosts first annual Sunbelt Expo
    The Cooperative Extension Service starts the Sunbelt Agricultural Exposition in Moultrie, Ga.

  • 1979: 4-H begins the Environmental Education program
    Diane Davies, state specialist, begins the Georgia 4-H Environmental Education Program at Rock Eagle 4-H Center.


  • 1981: 4-H's Clovers & Company performing arts group forms
    Clovers & Co. was founded to provide an opportunity for 4-H youth to promote and share with others the excitement, leadership and talent evident in 4-H.

  • 1983: Jekyll Island 4-H Center opens

  • 1987: Extension launches the boll weevil eradication program


  • 1990: School of Home Economics is renamed
    The University of Georgia's School of Home Economics becomes the College of Family and Consumer Sciences (FACS).

  • 1991: College of Agriculture is renamed
    The University of Georgia's College of Agriculture becomes the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (CAES).


  • 2003: Extension reduces to four districts
    In order to streamline administration, UGA Extension reduced from five districts to four: Northeast, Northwest, Southeast and Southwest.

  • 2004: Camp Fortson becomes a Georgia 4-H Center

  • 2007: First woman becomes head of UGA Extension
    Beverly Sparks becomes the first woman to head UGA Extension as the Associate Dean.

  • 2007: Water and wellness programs are launched statewide
    Striving to offer cohesive programming in each county across the state, Extension rolled out the 40 Gallon Challenge and Walk Georgia programs, aimed at reducing water consumption during the drought and promoting healthy lifestyles through exercise.