Remembering the 75th anniversary of Extension
Wayne Jordan, former Associate Dean for Extension, recalls the celebration of the 75th anniversary of Extension in 1989.
In May, 1989 the UGA Cooperative Extension Service celebrated the 75th anniversary of the Smith-Lever Act by planting a native Yellowwood tree on the University of Georgia campus in Athens. The theme of the 75th anniversary was "Out of Necessity," signifying that Extension was born out of necessity and will continue to serve out of necessity.
The commemorative tree was planted outside the Hoke Smith building, which is significant because it is the headquarters building for the Georgia Extension Service and named for the co-author of the 1914 Smith-Lever Act, Georgia Senator Hoke Smith.
Pictured in the foreground with shovels in hand are Phil Campbell, Jr., son of the first director of Georgia Extension, and C. Wayne Jordan, the eighth director of Extension (1988-1996). The Yellowwood tree and bronze plaque reside to the east side of the Hoke Smith building on the UGA campus in Athens. Photo courtesy of C. Wayne Jordan.