1950: College Experiment Station officially recognized
The College Experiment Station is officially recognized in Athens, Ga., although experiments on crops and livestock had been conducted for decades at research farms on and near the University of Georgia campus.
In 1907, the original agronomy experimental plots were laid out on South Lumpkin Street, where the coliseum, athletic fields and Hoke Smith buildings are now located. Today, the facility is located on College Sation Road just down the street from the origninal location.
As headquarters of the UGA Agricultural Experiment Stations, College Experiment Station research cuts across every scientific discipline and includes much of the basic, cellular-level research conducted on crops and animals.
College Experiment Station scientists use several facilities on the main UGA Athens campus to support their teaching and research programs. These facilities include the Plant Genome Mapping Laboratory; Soil, Plant and Water Lab; Feed and Environmental Water Lab; and Pesticide and Hazardous Waste Lab.
Current research projects at the College Experiment Station include food packaging improvement studies, genetic engineering of new pest and disease resistant crops, livestock cloning research and biological control of insect pests.
Crop and animal breeding research at the station results in crops, poultry and livestock that carry the genes for higher yields, greater disease resistance and improved offspring.