1948: Georgia 4-H Foundation is established
On November 17, 1948, W.A. “Bill” Sutton, State 4-H Leader, and other 4-H supporters and employees of UGA Cooperative Extension chartered the Georgia 4-H Foundation.
The organization was created to raise and administer funding for the construction of Rock Eagle and was first chaired by Walter S. Brown, director of Cooperative Extension. As Rock Eagle was completed, the foundation continued to support Georgia 4-H programs by providing scholarships, awards and incentive trips for the successful achievements of 4-H'ers in the state.
As time passed, the foundation began to develop endowments, which today fund scholarships, salaries for camp counselors and other important programs. Staff members solicit gifts from 4-H alumni, friends and businesses to fund annual projects and events that are not endowed. The foundation also continues to support the five 4-H centers in the state.
The Georgia 4-H Foundation is classified as a 501(c)(3) organization and all contributions are tax-deductible according to IRS standards. Funds collected are used for 4-H purposes set forth by the foundation board of directors and the State 4-H Leader, under the guidance of the director of UGA Extension.
For more information, visit georgia4hfoundation.org.