1910: Extension leadership is formed
Georgia hires its first Extension Director, J. Phil Campbell, who serves until 1933.
J. Phil Campbell was formerly Seamen Knapp's assistant in Washington, D.C. He was also: superintendent of the first agricultural high school in Georgia; state agent for South Carolina Farmers Cooperative Demonstration, a forerunner of the present Extension Service; regional supervisor for the Farmer's Cooperative Demonstration in Washington, D.C.; state agent and director for the Cooperative Extension Service; and Head of the Cooperative Relations in Extension section.
Campbell was a pioneer in agricultural work, particularly in Extension. He was associated with Congressman Lever of South Carolina and Senator Smith of Georgia, sponsors of the Smith-Lever Act, which created the Cooperative Extension Service. Under his leadership, Camp Wilkins, the former 4-H camp at the University of Georgia, was built.